Privacy Notice for housing law clients
Housing law services respects your privacy and is committed to protecting your personal data. This privacy notice will inform you as to how we look after your personal data when you visit our website (regardless of where you visit from) and tell you about your privacy rights and how the law protects you.
This notice supplements other notices and policies and is not intended to override them.
Housing law services LLP is the controller and responsible for your personal data (collectively referred to as ‘hls’ ‘we’ ‘us’ or ‘our’ in this privacy notice)
We have appointed a Data Protection Compliance Manager (DPCM) who is responsible for overseeing questions in relation to this privacy notice. If you have any questions about this privacy notice, including any requests to exercise your legal rights, please contact the DPCM using the details set out below: –
Full name of legal entity: housing law services LLP)
Name of DPCM Tim Crook
Email address email@example.com
Postal address housing law services
6 Watch Oak Business Centre
Battle East Sussex TN33 0 GB
You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) the UK supervisory authority for data protection issues (www.ico.org.uk). We would however appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns before you approach the ICO so please contact us in the first instance.
WHY DOES HLS OBTAIN PERSONAL DATA ABOUT ME?
- You are a client of ours in which case hls may obtain personal data to establish your identity – the data may come from you or from public sources and search companies. We only use this data for the prevention of money laundering and terrorist financing;
- You deal with hls or hls’s clients. In these cases, hls may obtain data about you where the data is relevant to those dealings. This data might come from you, or from public sources and search companies.
Beyond this we obtain a variety of documents and correspondence in the ordinary course of our business. Personal data about you (particularly things like your name and contact details) might be included in these documents even though you have no direct dealings with hls or hls’s clients. This personal data is not used by us other than because of making ordinary use of the underlying documents.
If you visit our website, then website analytics provide us with your IP address and your type of device and browser but not your name or physical address.
THIRD PARTY LINKS
This website may include links to third- party websites, plug-ins and applications. Clicking on those links or enabling those connections may allow third parties to collect or share data about you. We do not control these third-party websites and are not responsible for their privacy statements. When you leave our website, we encourage you to read the privacy notice of every website you visit.
WHAT DOES HLS DO WITH MY PERSONAL DATA AND WHAT IS THE LEGAL BASIS FOR THIS
We use the personal data as part of providing legal services, obtaining goods and services for our business and complying with UK law. The bases for this processing as ‘legal compliance’ and ‘legitimate interests’ in respect of other ordinary business activities of hls.
DOES HLS SHARE MY PERSONAL DATA WITH ANYONE ELSE?
Not for selling or make it generally available. But we may share it in the following circumstances: –
- Hls deals with a variety of entities in providing its legal services. Personal data might be shared as a necessary part of this activity or where it cannot reasonably be avoided
- Like any other business, we depend on services from various external companies and bodies. Some of these services (such as email hosting ad data back-ups) involve the supplier holding data which has been collected by us.
- If you do (or intend to do) something which risks injury or harm, then we might provide personal data about you to the police or to the affected persons
- We might be obliged to disclose personal data about you under a court order or a statutory obligation.
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal data to those employees’ agents’ contractors and third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal data on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected personal data breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a breach where we are legally required to do so.
HOW LONG WIL YOU USE MY PERSONAL DATA FOR
We will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for including for the purposes of satisfying any legal accounting or reporting requirements.
A file will normally be deleted after 6 years after closure unless there is a reason to extend that period.
In some circumstances we may anonymise your personal data (so that it can no longer be associated with you) for research or statistical purposes in which case we may use this information indefinitely without further notice to you.
You have the right: –
- To be informed of the personal information which is held about you
- To stop personal information about you being used for marketing purposes
- To correct or remove inaccurate personal information about you
- To obtain compensation where you have suffered damage and distress.
WHAT WE MAY NEED FROM YOU
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access your personal data (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is a security measure to ensure that personal data is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it. We may also contact you to ask you for the further information in relation to your request to speed up our response.
TIME LIMIT TO RESPOND
We try to respond to all legitimate requests within one month. Occasionally it may take us longer than a month if your request is particularly complex, or you have made several requests. In this case, we will notify you and keep you updated.